»

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Stop the Bullying


This post is going to be a bit difficult because it requires me to go to a place I really don't want to go to but if it helps someone else, I'm willing to go. During past few weeks the news has been littered with reports of young adults and teens committing suicide because they were outed or teased because they were gay and I want to use this forum to ask the perpertrators to stop. Please stop this behavior. Stop the teasing and stop the bashing. Who cares if someone else is gay? That is their choice and if it doesn't hurt you, then leave it alone. Who are you to bash someone based on who they are?


I am able to come to you because I was one of those people. Yes, Donna T. Broadway used to do it. Why? I don't know. I was 11 at the time and I was being teased and I wanted my power back, so I took it from someone else. I'm not making excuses but this is what it was. Would I ever do it now? No, I haven't teased anyone or made fun of anyone in a while, since that incident. It hurts me to my core to think of what I may have done to that girl. I have not seen her in 13 years and I barely remember her name. All I know is that after that year, I never saw her again. Sometimes I wish I would run into her so I could apologize. I was wrong and I put her through unimaginable hell. If she happens to be reading this, I want to apologize from the core of my heart. I'm sorry for any hurt and pain that was imposed on you.


I tell this painful secret in hopes that someone will be touched and stop their behavior. My goal is that someone will see the person they're bullying as a person and not just a target. They need to realize the pain they're causing and stop. Just stop it.

0 comments: