»

Sunday, October 3, 2010

"Sweet Dreams" Cast Round Table Interview


Peep this round table with the cast of Sweet Dreams the movie. We have other exclusive interviews with Alvin Gray, Robyn Wood, and Nakia Warren. The casts speaks about difficulties of finishing the film, their inspiration, and what's next for them.
Keonna Manley-Jessica
Nakia Warren- Director
Antwan Carney- Director of Photography
Robyn Wood- Melody Griffin
LeDonna B- Make up
Alvin Gray-Director/Producer/ writer/ Curtis Monroe

Congrats on the film and living on your dream.

Thank you for coming out.

What sparked you to become a filmmaker?

Alvin: I had a lot of stories I wanted to share from when I was a child to being a grown man. I've seen a lot and I've never had a lot of friends just a lot of imaginary friends and action figures. To this very day, if I see a cool action figure I'll buy them. I used to make movies with the figures but now I have real action figures I can play with. (laughter)

Where did you get the story for the film?

Alvin: This is the thing, I love black people to death but I got tired of seeing the same old hood movie. There is more to us then that and Bill Cosby. I wanted to do something different. Nightmare on Elm Street is my favorite movie, so that's where the concept probably came from.

To Robyn:How easy was it for you to play this role?

Robyn: It was not all that easy to switch over but I had the help of Nakia and Alvin. It wasn't easy to switch it on a dime and over the course of a year and a half filming, it was hard to stay in that mindset.

Alvin: she played the role a little too naturally. I was a bit worried. (laughter)

How much time from conception to the premiere has passed?

Alvin: It's taken about a year and a half to shoot this movie but it was really about 45 working days. These guys(the cast) put alot of work into it. We had to re-shoot some scenes to make it perfect as possible.


How does it feel to see your baby come to life?

Alvin: it means alot, it feels good seeing something being accomplished. It was kind of hard keeping these people (the cast and crew) together because they hadn't seen my work and they didn't see the whole vision.

Jessica: to me it's surreal. Alvin did a wonderful job but I didn't know what to expect. I've done a lot of underground things and I've done some professional things but you never know we're you're gonna go with it in entertainment. Personally, I don't like seeing myself on film.

Nakia: It's exciting because it's alot of work and there's somethings where it's like, this is too stressful, I can't do this. Also not having the big budget to do what you want to do and make it work. Seeing it come to gether is exciting and rewarding. They put a lot of time and energy into a project where they didn't know what the outcome would be.

Antwan: this was a rather difficult and long project, but seeing it on the screen finished feels good. The DP is there everyday and I'm watching it from the perspective of someone who was there everyday and I remember the things that happened that the audience doesn't know. I'm glad we got it finished because finishing a film is very difficult.

Robyn: for me, it's a mix of emotions. I don't like seeing myself on screen either, it's a bit nerve wrecking. I'm excited for the cast and crew to see their film come to fruition and I'm nervous for my family to see it and what they would think.

LaDonna: I'm really excited to sit back and watch my movie on the big screen. Looking at the faces, I'm critiquing the make up but I'm excited to see it.

Going down the line from cast and crew, what is next for you?

Alvin: the next project for me is a movie called "Senior Cut Day" I'm revisiting a script I made when I first started making movies. It's about a group of people that were forced out of their homes and into the woods and what happens is these people become savages. A few teenagers decide to take senior cut day and end up killed by these scavengers.

Keyonna: I think I'll be auditioning for his next film. I've done some extra work. I was featured in Head of State, I was on The Wire, I've been in videos, I was at the BET awards interviewing people for the red carpet in '06. I'm also recently engaged and I'm planning a huge wedding.
Nakia: after this project I'm taking a break but I do plan to work on a documentary that I'm very passionate about. It's about what inspires and motivates artists to continue on their journey although it's not a typical 9-5 and they don't have the income that it brings. The other project prior to that is a short film I wrote in 2006, so I'm gonna start shooting that.

Antwan: I work full time as a photographer and Director of photography so whoever check clears is next for me.

Robyn: I'm going to do a short film with the Robinson Brothers, who edited this film and I will continue to do commercial and print modeling.

LaDonna: I'm working on getting my cosmetics line launched and also I've been the make up artist for Ultimate Make Up Show which is filmed in Atlanta.


Where does the movie go from here?

Alvin: What's happening with the movie is we're trying to get distribution for it, so you can get it from Netflix and Red Box, Best Buy and places like that, hopefully by the beginning of the year. We're not sure what we're gonna do until then but you can always go to the website and we'll keep you up to date on the process and where it's being shown or if it's going on sale.

What are you doing to Promote "Sweet Dreams"?

Alvin: Facebook and the media WBAL and WJZ, the City Paper, and the Examiner. I've also been doing a lot of foot action to get people to come out. We struggle and strive to make sure people see this project.

Where can people find out about you?

Alvin: you can google my name and a list of my work will come up. Google, facebook, websites.

For more information visit sweetdreamsthemovie.com


0 comments: