»

Monday, October 24, 2011

Tyler and Kim


How do I begin this? This has been marinating in my mind since I heard the news of Kim starring in Tyler Perry's new play turned movie "'The Marriage Counselor," but it only hit me a few minutes ago while I was bathing. Let's get into it.

Kim Kardashian is starring in Tyler Perry's new movie as the assistant of the said marriage counselor, played by Journee Smollett, who gives her boss a makeover to help her struggling marriage. I have seen 4 reactions to this news. Mad that a woman who got her start in a sex tape is taking roles from women who have worked hard to make it as an acress; dissapointed that Tyler now seems to be falling into the hollywood trap; shocked that after Kim's less than stellar performance in "Disaster Movie" that she's getting another chance to act; indifferent, most people don't care about her or Tyler Perry's work or will still see it anyone. I am indifferent. I respect Tyler Perry's work, love Madea, and have seen all of his movies and most of his plays. Say what you want about the quality of his work, the man hustles and works hard. He is making more money that veteran movie producers like Steven Spielberg. This post is not about Tyler as much as it's about Kim.

I think people are giving Kim too much credit. I think Kim is giving Kim too much credit. I respect the Kardashian hustle. They have a $65 million empire that probably isn't slowing down as long as Kris has breath in her body. She turned an embarassing sex tape, literally and figuritively, into a lucritive empire complete with every deal imaginable. Kim doesn't need to be an actress. She probably wants to legitimize herself. The number one rule in Hollywood is that if you're a reality star, tabloid star, girlfriend/baby mama of a well known person and you want to be respected, become an actress.

Kim is not starring in "The Marriage Counselor." I've seen the play, the assistant only gets a half hour of screen time at most. I doubt Kim's screentime exceeds 1/4 of the movie. Maybe Tyler will expand her scenes. But Jurnee Smollett is carrying the film. She has the title role. I admit I want to see how Kim does but I don't expect her to bomb. I think she'll have a few lines, will look cute in her outfits, make some faces and go home. That's it. I don't doubt that Kim will be promoting the film like she's starring in it and she will probably have her own poster because her name is marketable. It's like Beyonce in Cadillac Records, she promoted the film like she starred in it and she was on the poster, but she only appeared in the last few scenes of the movie and her screen time didn't exceed 20 minutes.

 Tyler Perry fans, relax. Kim will not make or break the movie. Jurnee Smollett will not make or break the movie. People are not coming to see Kim; they're coming because of the name Tyler Perry. The only name that will make or break the film is Tyler Perry.

0 comments: