»

Monday, September 27, 2010

Celebrate You: The Need to be Liked


At one point, everyone has dealt with this need. When we're younger, we aim to fit in so we follow the latest trends and act in a way that is pleasing to others. As we get older, we realize how ridiculous this is and we become individuals. For most of us here, we have a long way to go before we reach that point.


I have dealt with the need to be liked. In fact, I still do. I think that's a part of my nature and one I try to control rigorously because it opens me up to vultures. I've never been very popular and I've always felt like that "spare." All of my sisters are close and I feel like the outsider and when my Dad was married, thank goodness that's over, my stepmom had three kids and it was just me. I wanted to be liked but frankly, I didn't care. I realized they didn't like me and I don't care. The need to be liked is a useless need. We can't please everyone, nor should we want to. The need to be liked has been many a great mans downfall. If you are struggling with this need, give it up. Repeat this mantra to yourself daily: I am fearfully and wonderfully made, God does not make junk. I accept and love myself as I am.

0 comments: