»

Monday, September 6, 2010

Picking the right hair color


I didn't want to go here but the celebs are forcing me to. I'm tired of celebs dying their hair crazy colors. There I said it. I used to be the hair color queen. I've been blonde, red, copper, and brown. I've done mainly every color. I dyed my hair this horrible auburn blonde color. I really only wanted highlights and I wanted it Keyshia Cole red but I ended up with a blonde damaged hair do that took two years to grow out.




It was a mess and I cringe about it. I have made a vow not to do anything permanent to my hair. If I want color, I will add some pieces in. But I know many of you are dying your hair. Please understand that hairdying is not something you do because it's a trend. Hair dying is permanent and damaging. It also takes years to grow out. I have seen many women, myself included, dye their hair a color only to dye it back a few months later. I dyed my blonde hair back a few months after dying it. Hair color should enhance your look not ruin it. Here are my tips.


1. If you are at an age where you need a legitimate job, stay away from kool aid colored hair. This means Rihanna and Faith Evans. I wish I had a picture of me with red hair but I don't. I had cherry cola, a bright reddish pink, highlights that covered my whole head. It was bright and a mess. I was only in high school but I learned early. No one will take you seriously if you look like ronald mcdonald. Pick a suttle and professional color.


2. stay away from color trends: this also goes for hair in general but stay away from color trends. This includes blue, red, blonde, orange whatever color, stay away from it.


3. everyone is not meant to be a blond: yes, i'm talking about Amerie. I love her with black hair. It was pretty and made her look exotic. Now she just looks ruined. When I saw the picture, I just asked why about 10 times. No lie. Blondes may be hot, but you as a blonde may not be.

4. buy a wig: before committing to such a permanent and obvious change, buy a wig or get colored extensions, try the color out for a week. Listen to people's reaction and watch their facial expressions. Are they good or bad? I am one for making your own decisions but it may be good to listen to someone else. They have to see your hair and they represent the world. If that doesn't work, try another color. Try it until you get it right.

5. pick based on skin tone: if you're lighter, you may want to go lighter. The color may brighten you up because dark colors tend to wash out light skin. If you're a bit darker, try rich browns or deep reds. Amerie could have gotten away with a chocolate brown or a deeper blonde, platnium is not her color.

6. try highlights: if you're unsure, don't fully committ. Do a trial run with highlights. Does the color compliment you or just sits there?

7. consult a professional: when in doubt, consult an expert. Choose someone with lots of experience and with lots of recommendations. Also, choose someone you trust. You need someone who will tell you the truth, not someone looking for money.

0 comments: