»

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Usher "Versus" Review

If you've listened to Usher in the last year and a half, you'd know he's going in a "mainstream" direction. "OMG" and "DJ Got Us Falling In Love Again" have been top 40 radio staples since their release. Usher hopes to continue his reign over urban and mainstream music with the release of Versus. The extended play, or EP, contains nine new songs, four of which have been released and garnered top 40 or higher success. Due to several of the songs being released, I will only review the five that have not been released.


The EP begins with "Love Em All," a mid tempo song about "big love" that is reminiscent of his 2008 hit, "Love in This Club." When I first heard track four, "Lay You Down," I thought it contained a Prince sample but after searching through the liner notes, the song was completely original. The song is your typical making love song. That doesn't mean the song isn't good but it's a love making song. Lingerie continues the making love theme. The song is good but I can't see it as anything besides an album track. It's a mid tempo ode to pre-sex clothing. "Get in My Car" is my least favorite track on the album. It's very rushed and feels a bit lazy. Stranger is the last track to the album and it's okay. I wish that Usher had an intro and outro to Versus.

I give Versus a B-. The album is good and it's obvious that Usher is full of hits but the album is also full of fillers.

0 comments: