»

Friday, September 10, 2010

The "T" Word


Let's talk about tolerance. America is a country built on freedom. The pilgrims came here to practice religious freedom and everyone after that had to fight for theirs. People come to America for a better life. The pre 9/11 America is different from the post America 9/11. Although Americans have always been weary of Immigrants, which is ironic because only 2% of the population can trace their roots to Native Americans, the post 9/11 America is weary of immigrants.


I'll be honest. Hispanics and Muslims are not welcomed in America. We don't like them nor do we want them here. In our eyes, Muslims are terrorists and Hispanics are dirty job stealers. Who needs those around. Several states, including my home state of Maryland, have passed immigration laws that allow police to profile suspected immigrants and deport them. How can we, a country of illegal immigrants, treat our fellow man like that? How dare we deny people who want a better life a chance at that? How dare we burn Qur'an's?

There I said it. I'm a God fearing woman. I read the bible daily, I pray, and I meditate. I love God and I'm aiming to get closer to him daily but I can't understand Christians burning such a book. What gives us the right to burn anyones religious books? What gives us the right to decide which religion is real or fake? Why are these people Christian? Because your mother was one? Because your grandmother beat you over the head with a bible? Why do you believe? I believe because I have seen God and his works for myself and I know what he does for me.

What gives us the right to look down at others who believe differently? Although Pastor Terry Jones has cancelled the scheduled Qur'an burning, I wonder why did he want to go that far? Why are we so islamophobic? In Matthew 22: 39, Love your neighbor as yourself. That's one of greatest commandments. The first being to Love God with all your mind, soul, and heart. Would you want someone burning your bibles? What if the billion of known Muslims throughout the world decided we were wrong and wanted to wage a campaign against us? We'd probably hate it
Tolerance is the word of the day. You don't have to like something or someone but you do have to tolerate it. Muslims have as much right as we do to practice their religion and we should give them that freedom.

0 comments: