»

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

College vs The Real World


This is the official death of my college mindset. Yes, I am killing it. I don't know exactly what I am killing but I know its time to practice my 1 Corinthians 13:11: putting away childish things. Let's think about college. This is the first time you are away from your parents watchful eye and their rules. You're independent and no one can tell you what to do. Let's not forget about the fact that they're still giving you their money. So you're an adult but you're not an adult. You're responsible for what happens in that bubble. It's up to you if you go to class, study, and get good grades. It's up to you to succeed in that tiny bubble, but the responsibility of the real world is not there. If you don't go to work, your house won't be foreclosed on, will your cars won't be repossessed, and you won't starve. Everything is set.


Think about the real world. Everything is set on your shoulders. Everything. There is no such thing as an off day. If you're off, your lights may be off. You must work to provide. You have to provide. There is no more mommy and daddy with their financial support. It's just you and your freewill. This is what I'm killing. The childish mindset. At 24, or 23 and 11 months, it's time to be a woman. That means moving from under my parents roof and making adult money. Such is life. Two years as an emerging adult is enough, now its time to be an adult.

I want every college student to learn something and use their final year to set up for adulthood. Time moves fast whether or not you're ready. Your graduation day is coming whether or not you have a graduate school acceptance letter, job, or a place to live. Use this time to be an adult. That's my soap box for the day

0 comments: