»

Friday, July 30, 2010

No, Don't Teach Me How To Dougie” by Loundon C


If you haven't already heard of the song by Cali Swag District, you're not missing anything special. “Teach Me How to Dougie” has a hot beat, no disagreements there. However, when I first heard this song recently, it became even more clear to me that good lyrics just aren't important to your average Hip Hop fan. On the radio, it gets requested because it sounds good and is easy to dance to. I have no problem with that, but would it hurt to couple that beat with some rhymes that aren't so basic that a caveman could catch the punchlines with flying colors? I'm not saying I want lines to soar over my head but just give me something to think about. I'm aware that there are requirements for these songs to get such heavy rotation: Dumbed down lyrics? Check. A great beat? Check. A dance for people to learn? Check. Infectious hook? Check. Sounds like a hit to me. It's just unfortunate that I rarely hear songs shying away from this formula.

Moving on, the hook on this track is definitely catchy. However, the dance itself is somewhat confusing. There aren't many specific moves one could pull off by simply watching the video. It doesn't seem to be as easy as the “Crank That” song by Soulja Boy. Regardless, I can't hate on the group's hustle. If people still want to groove to this song then, do your thing Cali Swag District and keep teaching. But don't expect to see me in class.

0 comments: