»

Monday, June 28, 2010

BET Awards 2010: The Rundown

I saw about 75% of the BET awards before I fell asleep. The awards were what I expected them to be, sort of good, a bit mediocre at times, and a few funny moments. Here's a rundown of my favorite moments of the awards:
Someone offer Prince Simon Cowell's Job:



After peeping this side eye that Prince gave to Trey Songz after he tried to mix "Yo Side of the Bed" and "Purple Rain," I'm convinced that Prince should be the next American Idol Judge. He wouldn't even have to speak because his eyes would say it all.




Queen Latifah tells the sex of Alicia Keys' Baby:



I know too many of you were trying to hear if Queen Latifah came out of the closet to catch this one: but Queen Latifah let is slip that Alicia Keys is having a girl. During her monologue, when speaking about the baby, she said "her" more than once. No shade, but if Alicia and Swizz did nothing wrong why did they wait until his divorce was final to go public after being together for years? I'm just saying.

Ray J's Drunkeness:


Not too many people caught this, but Ray-J was a bit tipsy. So much so that Brandy had to tell him to shut up. When you're barely B-list, I think you should have more respect than to show up to an awards show drunk.

Chris Brown's Humility:


I loved Chris Brown's tribute. No matter what is said about Chris Brown here, I will admit he can dance and really did MJ justice. I was a bit confused when he was choked up during "Man in the Mirror" because I thought he was out of breath, but my mother pointed out he was crying. I was deeply moved because he showed humility. I also loved when he was humble during his acceptance speech.




Nicki Minaj is taking her black Lady Gaga thing too far:

Nicki performed three times last night and I was not impressed. I wanted her to do her own songs and I hated the lip syncing. I know everyone has lip synced a few times but I feel like if you can't dance, walk, whatever while singing, put the mike down. I also hated the orange haired prom thing she had going on. Sorry Nicki, you didn't impress me. Go harder next year.

Monica and Deniece Williams:



Monica did a good job. The bat wings were questionable but whatever. Anyway, Deniece Williams needed more vocal warm ups. That. Is. All.

B.O.B. and Keyshia Cole's "Airplanes":


I like the song but I don't like Keyshia Cole on it. Actually, I didn't like much about her yesterday. Her wig was a mess, her outfit was questionable, and she over sang.

Queen Latifah's Character study:


I enjoyed Queen Latifah resurrecting the characters from her past. Her Cleo was hilarious.

I got a Love Jones:

I'm not mad at BET for trying to be different but the first time they resurrected a movie/TV show from the past, it was cute. Now it's annoying. Stop it.

No One Man Should Have All That Power:


Kanye came out of hiding to perform his new single "Power." I like the song, but the performance was okay. It didn't suck but it wasn't great. Is that Jesus around his neck? If you know, please tell me. Either way, it's a mess and Kanye is a mess.

Prince' Tribute:






I didn't catch it but from what I've been reading, Prince was only impressed with Patti Labelle. I'll catch it on the DVR tonight and tell you what I really think.

Alicia Keys on the piano:


This was another moment that twitter and the blogosphere was buzzing about. A five months pregnant Alicia Keys, jumped on the piano in a sultry move that shocked Prince. When you shock the king of shock, you've done your job.



El Debarge's comeback:



When he came on stage, my sister asked me who he was. But anyway,there will be no shade because he did a good job. I hope he keeps it together enough to continue on this path.



The moment I wanted to see:



Call it the immature, Jerry Springer/Maury enthusiast in me, but I would have loved if Lil' Kim came to the mike when Nicki Minaj accepted her best female hip hop award and Kanye West'd her. Yes, Kanye has become a verb. I'm sure Lil' Kim had extra security around her to stop the shenanigans.

BET Award's 2010 Winners:

Best Female R&B Artist: Alicia Keys

Best Male R&B Artist: Trey Songz

Best Female Hip Hop Artist: Nicki Minaj

Best Male Hip Hop Artist: Drake

Best New Artist: Nicki Minaj

Best Gospel: Marvin Sapp

Best Group: Young Money

Best Collaboration: Jay-Z and Alicia Keys – “Empire State of Mind”

Video of the Year: Beyonce Knowles (ft. Lady GaGa) – “Video Phone”

Best Actress: Mo’Nique

Best Actor: Idris Elba

Best Movie: “Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire”

Youngstars Award: Keke Palmer

Subway Sportswoman of the Year: Serena Williams

Subway Sportsman of the Year: LeBron James

Viewer’s Choice: Rihanna (featuring Young Jeezy) – “Hard”

Best International Act: Dizzee Rascal (U.K.)

Centric Award: Monica

Fandemonium Award: Chris Brown



All Heroes don't sing and dance:



I'm glad BET is trying to change their reputation by honoring community leaders. I think it's a shame they're always having to defend themselves when MTV and VH1 are no better. The honorees were Geoffrey Canada (pictured above) and Earl Martin Phalen were among the honored.


BET Awards Winners List:

Viewers Choice: Rihanna Ft. Young Jeezy - 'Hard'
Best Female R&B Artist: Alicia Keyes
Best Male R&B Artist: Trey Songz
Best Female Hip-Hop Artist: Micki Minaj
Best Male Hip-Hop Artist: Drake
Best Collaboration: Jay-Z & Alicia Keys
Best Group: Young Money
Video of the Year: Beyonce & Lady Gaga
Video Director of the Year: Anthony Mandler
Youngstars Award: Keke Palmer
Best Actress: Mo'Nique
Best Actor: Idris Elba
Best Movie: Precious
Best Gospel: Marvvin Sapp
Centric Award: Monica
Subway Sportswoman of the Year: Serena Williams
Subway Sportsman of the Year: Lebron James
Best International Act: Dizzee Rascal
Lifetime Achievement Award: Prince

0 comments: