»

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Rick Ross sues Rick Ross

Are you confused?



Today Freeway Ricky Ross official files a lawsuit against Rick Ross. After months of numerous complaints about Rick Ross using his name, the former drug kingpin known for making "2-3 million a week" at the height of his slanging days, made action against the M-I-Yayo's...wait for it...BAWSE.



Freeway Ricky’s attorney Melvin Sharpe Jr., ESQ., filed a trademark infringement lawsuit on Friday (June 18th) in U.S. District Court, Central District of California. Judge Percy Anderson will issue summonses to Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter and rapper Rick Ross who could both be called to testify during the discovery process. Additionally, Jay-Z, Maybach Music Group., Slip-N-Slide Records and UMG Recordings are named as defendants in the lawsuit. Jay-Z is named in the lawsuit because he signed Ross to Island Def Jam in 2006, while he was President of the legendary label, which Ross still calls home. Under his deal with Def Jam, Rick Ross has released three chart-topping albums: Port of Miami (2006), Trilla (2008) and Deeper Than Rap (2009).(via Allhiphop)



Yup, they have added Jay-Z to the infringement case as well.

Just imagine if Freeway Ricky Ross wins. This could possibly open a floodgate of infringement cases in the rap game the moment the original holder of the pseudonym feels their down on their luck. That goes for 50 Cent, AZ, Foxy Brown, Jim Jones, Capone, Irv Gotti, Yo Gotti, Kurupt Young Gotti, etc.

Speaking of 50 Cent, something tells me he pushed Freeway Ricky Ross to do this all along. Earlier this year, FRR was humming a different tune about Ross.

"[Rapper] Freeway reached out and told me anything I needed he had me but Rick Ross, he hasn't reached out to me as of yet. That's not saying he won't reach out one day. But as of right now, he hasn't reached out...I reached out to him and spoke to him a few times and I basically was just telling him that he could be who he is. So he didn't have to use my name, he could just build a friendship with me. When I was in prison, I wanted him to start coming and seeing me, you know, just getting to know each other. And I told him he could still get his street credibility instead of doing that. We had about three conversations. When we spoke on the phone for the first three times, he paid homage and said he owed me. He told me how he first got the name and the whole nine yards."
(via 100.3 The Beat)

"I mean most definitely," Ross said regarding a possible business relationship [sic](with Rick Ross). "You know I'm a business man so any business we could do, you know, it is most definitely something I look forward to doing. I mean a dude that just did a little time he could really reflect on different things, I don't know what kinda business ventures he know but me, we in to films and different things like that. You'll never know what a man is up to. Of course not , [I haven't met him.] But you know I been in the game a few years, shout-out to him, he's doing his thing. Do we have any business together? No we don't, but you know, we both hustlers. So I wish him the best, so you know, that's what I say on that."(via JennyBoomBoomtv/Hot 93.7)

"50 Cent called me the day I got out and let me know if there was anything I needed to just let him know," he explained in an interview. "I don't know how he got my cell but the morning I got out he called me and expressed his support...[Ross] abruptly stopped taking my phone calls. I didn't come with my hand out, I came with ideas that I thought could make their career better. I don't want to be around nobody where I am just getting fed, I want to be somebody that brings substance to the table."(via AllHipHop Radio)



Add it up.

It seems as though Rick Ross is already prepared for a name change in the event he loses the case. He recently opened a twitter account under the alias @RickyRozay.

Rick Ross or Ricky Rozay's Teflon Don is tentatively scheduled to drop July 20, 2010 on Maybach Music Group/Def Jam.

0 comments: