»

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

On the Come Up: Monay Brown

Monay is an artist with an objective other than making money. At the young age of 15, Monay already has a growing fan base and a non profit organization. Get better acquanited with Monay at www.iammonay.com,myspace.com/shanaveabrown.

VII Mag: Tell us about your non-profit organization and why that cause is important to you?

Monay: The name of my foundation is called Monay’s Teen Foundation, and the main reason I started this foundation is so other teens won’t have to go through the things I go through. I want to build a safe community that teens can go to with other teens that share the same problems. I understand about having insecurities and self esteem problems can cause bigger problems like not getting an education. I have also put a tour together to raise funds to buy make up, school supplies, anything to build self-confidence.

VII Mag: What kind of stuff has your organization done so far?

Monay: I’ll be doing shows to raise money and 10% will go to the foundation.

VII Mag: How did you get into music?

Monay: I’ve always been inspired by music, it’s my passion. Ever since I could write, I would have a notebook with me writing poetry and my song writing progressed.

VII Mag: Do you write all of your songs?

Monay: Yes, I write all of my songs

VII Mag: Do you play any instruments?

Monay: No

VII Mag:Tell us about your new single Time to Cry?

Monay: I wrote this song because I was on such a busy schedule and I never had time for me or to hang out with my friends. I was always doing school work or working on my music and I had no time for myself. I thought I had it bad because I thought everyone should have time to cry but even when I was in bed I had to get my rest for the next busy day. I was really asking, could I get some time to cry.

VII Mag: How do you balance life now?
Monay: Since I have a busy schedule I have to stay focus in everything I do.

VII Mag: Do you find it scary being so young in an adult industry?

Monay: It’s kind of hard but I have a lot of people supporting me.

VII Mag: Describe your musical style?

Monay: What makes my music different is that I’m young and im putting out positive music trying to make a change in the world. when I look on the internet of teens who are on the radio, TV, and shows making it happen, a lot of them use profanity and talk about doing that big. I’m not doing that kind of stuff but when they hear my music they will like it and their parents will like it.

VII Mag: How do you plan to change their face of female rap?

Monay: I put a positive message out there. I don’t have to be hard or too sexy. When people hear my music that’s what’s going to draw them in.

VII Mag: What response have you gotten from your music so far?

Monay: My friends like it, if they didn’t they would tell me. that inspires me to get out there and write more.

VII Mag: What are your goals in the music industry?

Monay: I want to be a role model

VII Mag: What kind of impact do you wanna have on the industry?

Monay:My main focus is to create something that influences current artists. I want to create something that changes the world.


0 comments: