»

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Internet Privacy


Yesterday, I was perusing Facebook and I noticed my little sister changed her relationship status to "Engaged" to our childhood neighbor. Me, being the concerned big sister that I am, immediately pulled out my phone and asked her why I wasn't informed of this life change? She told me that it wasn't real and then proceeded to call me nosy, twice! How dare she? Anyway, this raised a question to me: do you have the right to call anyone nosey if you post your business online? Facebook is a social networking site of 500 million users. My sister also has nearly 1000 friends. How can you ask for privacy when you post something that big for 1000 people to see?


Facebook is a public forum where 500 million people have access to you and your most intimate thoughts. The privacy settings are not fool proof. You can still see pictures and other posts, even if the profile is set to private. You cannot control you sees these things no mater how hard you try. I advise everyone to use the Internet with caution. It is great as a plethora of information and resources but is also known as "the devil's playground." People use the Internet as a means of bullying and to feel extremely powerful. I've been on youtube reading the comment section and people are arguing. I find this ridiculous. You're on youtube arguing with people you don't know nor have ever seen and probably will never see. What do people gain from that? It's immature and people need to grow up.

The point is to proceed with caution. Anything you put online is permanent. Don't put anything online you don't want to answer to or want to pop up 10 years from now. Take Facebook and Twitter with a grain of salt. Use it to your advantage but don't share too much.

0 comments: