»

Thursday, August 19, 2010

No Black Women Allowed?


Where are all the black women? I know they exist because I see them everyday but I don't see them on TV. I know black women who sing, dance, are nurses, writers, lawyers, aspiring doctors, magazine editors, I know black women. I am a black woman. I am a black woman aspiring to do great things but where am I?


In the mainstream media, black women are often portrayed in one of two facets. She is the angry, ghetto woman or the uptight professional. Most of these women are no darker than coffee colored or bigger than a size two. Michelle Obama is an exception to the rule. She is one of the most visible black women but she is only one of billions. We are underrepresented in many ways. There are only 5 black women who have won Oscars and only one visible working actress. I love Zoe Saladana but you would swear she was the only black actress in Hollywood. Make that the only black or Latina actress. Whenever there is a role for a black or Latina actress (0r anyone with melanin in their skin) it goes to Zoe Saldana. I can't knock her hustle but can she let someone else work?


Why is the only representation of us an afro-latina actress who is a size 0 with bone straight hair? That's not how all black women look. We come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. What is it about us that makes Hollywood want to limit us so much? Where are the black comedians on SNL? Whenever there is a black woman to be parodied, guess what? A black man does it. Why are we the only race of women subjected to a "pool test" by our men? Why do I see olive skinned or Latina women dancing besides our men in videos? Mind you, I don't hate Latina women but they are clearly who society has chosen to replace us.


Are black women good enough? Can we do what the Latinas and Asians can? Are we that bad that our men prefer other races to us? Are no black women allowed?

0 comments: