»

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Did he just say that?


Have you ever been singing along with your favorite song only to notice the artist says something that made you blush? Yesterday, as I was driving home from my post work walmart trip, "Some cut" was playing and the chorus starts out "what it is hoe?" My first thought, was he did not just say that? Mind you, that the protagonist is trying to get his lady "friend" to his house. Who starts of an initial conversation like that? "What it is hoe? Can a nigga get in your guts?" That is the lyric, no lie. Who does that? And what woman would fall for that?


This song was very popular a few years back. I could barely turn on 92q, WKYS, or WPGC without hearing the initial bed squeaking. It made my stomach hurt then and it makes it hurt now. Why are these songs popular? There is no lyrical substance and the beat is mediocre at best. Sometimes I think Lil' Wayne is wack. So what you can rap off the top of your head. Isn't that called freestyling? And just because you can doesn't mean you should. A lot of his lyrics are filled with sexual non sense and violence. Is this what we want our children to learn? I used to hate when my mom would turn 92q for 95.9 or 96.3, which are the adult contemporary stations, but I realize she did it for a reason.


What do we gain from these lyrics? And why are they so popular? I love Eminem's "I Love the Way You Lie" but am I the only one who thinks it's ironic that Rihanna is singing about domestic violence? Anyway, the last line "Imma tie her to the bed and set this house on fire" is just wow. How many impressionable people will take this to heart and do it? Hopefully not too many but some lost soul will? A few months ago, a celeb joking told a kid to kill himself and guess what? He did but this celeb took no responsibility for his wreckless words. People are impressionable. They want to be celebs. They follow these people like they're gods, when 90% of them can't write a decent lyric. Yes, it is up to parents to be responsible but some responsibility goes to the artists. There are certain things you cannot say and do and not expect it to have a major impact on the world. All I'm asking is that people be responsible. That's it, no more no less.

0 comments: