»

Friday, August 6, 2010

Top 5: MC's Dead or Alive by London C


When asked who I think are the top 5 rappers, a safe, standard list always pops in my mind. It's a list of rappers that seem to be silently agreed upon by Hip Hop purists all over the world. They are,in no particular order: Tupac, Biggie, Nas, Eminem, and Jay-Z.

It'd be very difficult to find somebody who didn't agree with these selections. The only dispute would obviously come from how each rapper would be ranked. I love asking this question to strangers because they tend to say all these names to be safe. On some rare occasions, I've met people who have none of these rappers in there lists and it delightfully surprises me. Sometimes while surfing Youtube, I come across random debates where users comment back and forth on the best rappers. When that rare list arises, it's usually met with disdain and is quickly shot down from the other users. Why?

Yes, the “standard” top 5 consists of amazing lyricists but these lists are purely based on opinion. Some people may not be fans of Eminem's violent lyrics. Some people may hate Nas' beat selection which could in turn, deter them from listening to his lyrics as a whole. These are a just a few reasons but what it comes down to is personal preference. I like Tupac, but I think Biggie is lyrically better. That's why he's not in my list.

Jay is gone with the wind because I just feel that he bit too many bars during his career and hasn't been rapping about anything substance wise as of late. Don't agree? Good. My #5 is Lupe Fiasco, then MF DOOM, Eminem, Nas, and Biggie at the top. It's a somewhat unique list but after reviewing all of these rappers' albums and taking their lyrical and song making skills into consideration, this is what I've come to. I like it and don't care if you hate it. But don't down talk mine just because it doesn't include the rappers that are in yours. It's all opinion.

0 comments: