»

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Halle Berry Covers Vogue

Halle Berry is the first black woman to cover vogue since September 1989. I'm going to ignore that because it's not worth rehashing. Here are a few quotes from the issue and a few picture.

“What that means for a woman of color and what that means in the fashion world, what that means to pop culture, there was no way I could say, ‘No, I’m not going to be on the biggest issue of the year.”

“I’m not done with love, but I refuse to settle. I am a hopeless romantic. I won’t stop till I get it right. I don’t think I’m unlike a lot of people. I am just someone who is trying to find that mate, and I think it’s a really hard thing to do. And I’m not willing to stay somewhere where I am really not happy. And I am not willing to pretend I am for the kid’s sake or so that I don’t have to go through another public humiliation. It’s about accepting who we really are, not who we want to be. As much as I have always wanted to be in this committed relationship and have the picket fence and grow old with the same person, I’m coming to terms with: Maybe that’s just not who I am.”

In the interview, Halle also revealed that she has rented a house in San Francisco to spend time alone with her daughter Nahla and she is considering moving there full time to raise her daughter out of the limelight.

I worry that this whole insatiable appetite for celebrity children will somehow adversely affect Nahla. I don’t think it’s fair, and I don’t think it’s safe. How will she grow up, having been objectified like this for most of her whole young life? Already they write things about her: Oh, she looks like this; oh, she looks like that. But nobody knows her. They just pick her apart on a very superficial level. How will I be able to help her keep that in perspective in this town?”

She also adds:

I have a new focus that’s outside myself and that feels really good, in your 40s, to have arrived at that place. I’m actually lucky and grateful that I waited until an age when I can really be present. I saw my mother in her early 20s having two little kids, and I don’t think she enjoyed me at two the way that I enjoy my daughter. She didn’t have that luxury. Nature has got it all wrong: When you are younger, it should be harder to get pregnant, and as you get older it should be easier. (Necole Bitchie.com)



0 comments: