»

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Celebrity Worship

(The person who created this picture needs psychiatric help)

We have a delusion problem in this country. We worship people and things that are an illusion. People spend too much time worshiping celebs, who in actuality couldn't or wouldn't care about them. I'm about to go in on Beyonce stans. I don't know what it is, but Beyonce stans bother me. I understand appreciating an artist and their accomplishments, but they are delusional beyond belief. As one poster wrote on a blog, "just because she can dance, sing, and fling yaki like no other, she's beysus." Yes, someone actually named Beyonce Knowles, Beysus. It's like they are waiting in the wings for anyone to say anything less than blind admiration about Beyonce. They will pounce on the poster on whatever forum they are on. They've attacked people on Twitter, youtube, facebook, in person, and on various blogs. They are unstable and need help. The crazy thing is, Beyonce has never acknowledged these stans and if anything happens, she will quickly disassociate herself from them. Don't believe me? Try to touch one of her 16 Grammy's or a dime of her $80 million salary  and see if Julius doesn't manhandle you and Beyonce doesn't call the police.

Although celebrities show appreciation for their fans, their main focus is on themselves. That's why they are where they are. Instead of focusing on other people, they focused on their dreams and goals and worked towards them. I don't care what you say about your favorite celeb, if you look into their come up, you will find more than one person they used/stepped on to get to the top. No celeb is perfect. They're people. Sometimes what they have to do to maintain their spots is not pretty.

I've always wondered why people wanted to be famous. I understand wanting the glamorous lifestyle and being appreciated, but it doesn't seem fun. Once you're a public figure, you no longer belong to you. I saw a video of Beyonce crying about her fame on a recent documentary and at first I was giving her the side eye, but I realized it has to be hard. She lives her dream, is admired by billions of people, has hundreds of millions of dollars, and can't enjoy the simple luxury of going outside alone. I think about Michelle Obama's recent trip to target and note how a simple 30-45 minute trip that most of use loathe is a big production for her. Fame definitely has its price and many celebs have paid it with their mental or physical health and even their lives. If you said to a famous person, I'll take your fame, you keep as much fortune as you want, they would quickly take that deal. People imagine fame but it's not as it seems. It's living in a fish bowl. It can't be fun. As someone once said, I wouldn't wish fame on my worst enemy. 

If you're going to admire someone, admire they're drive to make a dream a reality or their accomplishments, don't admire a faux lifestyle or superiority. As someone once said

0 comments: