»

Friday, November 25, 2011

Rights, Priviledges, and Responsibilities



I remember as a child counting down the days until 18. As a child and emerging adult, I hated the fact that I was under my parents rule. It felt like I was in jail. Looking back on it, I see how privileged I was. As a child, you have privileges but no rights and no responsibilities. What were my privileges, you ask? For one, I got to live for free. I didn't have to worry about making choices about my rent and other bills; I knew we had a roof over our heads, I knew our lights would work, I knew there would be hot water, I knew there would be food. If there wasn't, I didn't have to worry about how to make these things happen. I woke up and everything was how it was supposed to be. As an emerging adult, I gave money, but I didn't know the extent it took to maintain a household. I was able to pay minimal living expenses and still have money to shop.

Now that my emerging adult days are over, I realize how privileged I was. I was too focused on not having rights, that I didn't realized how privileged I was. Now I have rights and responsibilities, the privileges have to be earned. Funny how that flips. When you're younger, you're automatically privileged. Things are given to you because you're you, as an adult, privileges are hard fought. You have to earn the right to go shopping or to have something extra. Remember, when you were younger, how you got a pass on everything? Those days are over,  as an adult you have a responsibility. No longer can you fiend ignorance. You are an adult. As an adult, you  will more have responsibilities than rights. In fact, any rights you do get will be tied in with your responsibilities.
You have a responsibility to make sure bills are paid, a roof is over your head, that anyone you have assumed responsibility for is taken care of, you have a responsibility to make sure there's food, that there are lights and water, to make sure you work hard so you can have all these things. There are responsibilities.

I find it amazing that everyone wants rights and privileges but few people want the responsibilities that come up with them. The main point I want everyone to take away from this is: just because you can, doesn't mean you should. That list you created when you were a child is not doable as an adult because you have responsibilities and your parents are unable to take the fall. You are now your responsibility.

0 comments: