»

Monday, November 7, 2011

Dr. Conrad Murray

(showbiz411.com)

Here are my obligatory .02 cents on Dr. Conrad Murray. Conrad Murray has been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and I believe the jury got it right. Conrad Murray injected Michael Jackson with propofol, although that was against the law. I also believe that Michael Jackson was wrong too.

I understand the Jackson's family need to place the blame on someone and I believe that blame should be equally divided between Dr. Murray and Michael Jackson. My analysis has nothing to do with Michael Jackson's music or my appreciation of it, it has to do with the facts that have been presented in the last 2 years.

Michael Jackson was a drug addict. Simple the end. He had been a drug addict for the better part of 25 years. His drug use was an open secret. Michael Jackson was set to perform 50 shows he could not handle, mentally or physically. He had to work long hours to get his show up to Michael Jackson standards. AEG basically gave Michael an unlimited budget and he used that to employ Conrad Murray. Although people want to chastise Conrad Murray, I believe that he did what most people in his position would do. To Dr. Murray, Michael Jackson was the answer to his prayers. Here is a man who was hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and here was the biggest pop star in the world, offering him $150,000 a month, a place to live, the chance to travel the world, and a resume boosting opportunity. I know I would take it. I know you would take it to. Anyone who says they wouldn't is lying. Dr. Murray probably calculated the benefits and said yes before the offer was extended. He didn't know that it would end so wrong.

Just like Dr. Murray knew the risks of injecting propofol, so did Michael Jackson. I know once people become celebrities their ability to do wrong is all but gone, but Michael Jackson wasn't a victim he was a volunteer. Michael Jackson specifically asked for "milk" and probably paid for it. He knew the risks and chose to proceed anyway. Michael Jackson played with fire and paid the ultimate price, he paid with his life. There is no way to get around it. He was a willing participant. He may have been the king of pop but he was still human. He was still mortal. He still had the ability to make bad decisions and he made several of them.

I believe that Dr. Murray should lose his license. I don't know if I believe he should get jail time. His life is ruined enough. Dr. Murray will always be a social pariah, he will likely be unemployed and destitute. The most he can do is make some money by telling his story. Dr. Murray has been punished enough. Let the verdict stand and MJ rest in peace.


0 comments: