»

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Blessings

I saw this sign on one of my favorite websites, jheneaiko.tumblr.com, and I had to elaborate on this. I'm not going to go into my feelings on panhandlers but this man has the right idea. Anything to help him rise from where he is, is a blessing. That's how we should look at life. Anything is a blessing.

I remember my red Honda, my first car ever. My dad saved it for me for years until I had a license and I was ready for a car. I didn't have much experience driving, but I had a car and I loved my Honda. I remember being mocked by someone when I called my car a blessing. My car, after me not taking the best care of it, leaked oil, made an interesting noise, and the alarm malfunctioned in cold weather, every winter morning, without fail the o alarm would go off, this was highly embarrassing at 6 a.m. I didn't care. I was happy to have a car, I didn't care if this alarm went off or if I had to put oil in it every few months. I didn't have a car payment and upkeep was cheap, plus I always got where I needed to go and it allowed me to work on places not on the bus line. That car was a blessing, even if other people couldn't see it.

In a material world, blessings have to be extravagant. If you're not making $150,000, living in a MCmansion,  driving an overpriced luxury car, wearing overpriced designer clothes, and any other material thing we've been tricked into thinking makes us "blessed," the world doesn't see your blessings. Truth is, because you woke up, you are blessed. Thich Nhat Hanh, once said, "because you are alive, anything is possible." If you are alive, in your right mind, body, spirit, if you can see, hear, walk talk; and even if you can't, the fact you woke up this morning, makes you blessed. Blessings can be subtle.

Enjoying your blessings, doesn't mean contentment or that you don't want more, it means you appreciate what you have. So many people don't take time to enjoy or appreciate the things they have now. They work so hard to get more material things, more accolades, more awards that they wake up one day and wonder what happened. It's okay to take a pit stop on the road trip of life. Enjoy where you are. Take in the scenery. Enjoy life. Enjoy the blessings you have now, no matter how minimal they seem.

0 comments: