»

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

RTOTD: Occupy Wall Street


A co-worker and I, who I like to speak to about political issues because of her differing beliefs, often talk about these occupy movements. Her husband works at the Pentagon and she's annoyed at the Occupy DC protesters, who have parked their movement near the Pentagon, and I don't understand the movement.

When all of this occupy stuff started happening, researched their demands and reasoning and I have no idea what they want. If someone can tell me their ideologies and their reasoning for occupying, please email me at officialviimag@gmail.com. I understand the frustration of watching the upper 1% have most of the wealth, and subsequent power, but refuse to pay their fair share of taxes; which most of the rich said they would pay more taxes. I understand the frustration of watching people with unlimited wealth basically screw the system. I understand it and I don't like it, but I don't dwell on it. The only thing I can focus on is me, not the system and that's where my focus is. The Occupy protesters are nothing but a nuisance. Yes, they have made headlines and people are paying attention, but they're not doing much.

These are homeless, or unemployed, people who have jumped on a bandwagon. How do I know? I know because if they had a job or place to live, they wouldn't be there. When you have responsibilities, you don't have time to protest or spend all day "occupying." Although Occupy Baltimore has not received a lot of attention, the camp was cleared after months of crime and chaos. People fought over cats, were robbed, raped, and anything else. There are better ways to handle the issue. Instead of spending months doing little in way of protesting and when you do finally mobilize, you get in the way of innocent people who have worked hard to keep their job or gain their wealth. Don't focus on the 1%, focus on you. Work on getting your way out of homelessness, go to school, get into a program, go to a shelter, look for work, if you don't like the banks, don't utilize them, the only person you can control is you, so focus on changing you.  Don't turn the frustration of what feels like a failed life onto other people who have worked hard to make something for themselves. I also find it counterproductive to protest when they need to be looking for work or home in case someone calls about an interview or job opportunity. They may have missed opportunities protesting.

Say what you want about Wall Street and the bankers but they work 60, 70. 80, and even 90 hour work weeks to maintain their position and wealth. Are their tactics fair? No, but you can't deny the fact that they work hard for what they have. Why do these people feel entitled to what these people have worked so hard for? Why do they need to share with people who could be okay if they worked hard? Also, these people need to learn the value of 99%. Yes, 1% may have the power but when 99% mobilize in an effective and organized way, emphasis on organized, they have always been successful in shifting the power in favor of the 99%.

0 comments: