»

Monday, January 23, 2012

Lessons From the Ravens


You may not be a Baltimore Ravens fan or you may even be a New England Patriots Fan, but the Ravens loss to the Patriots was heartbreaking. It was a game that should have been won but two missed plays caused it to be lost. After the game, I was sick to my stomach but not deterred. It was something about that game that renewed my hope in the Ravens, there was also something that to be learned. There is always lessons to be gained from loss.

  1. We lose as a team, we win as a team-Ray Lewis. Yes, Ray Lewis will be back again. It's obvious that he believes in his team and he isn't ready to give up yet. People always point the finger at Cam Cameron and Joe Flacco but this game shows you that it takes a team to win. There is a reason why a roster is 53 people. Look at the Indianapolis Colts, they have one of the best quarterbacks of this era and they can't win without him. Yes, Cundiff and Evans missed crucial plays but it takes a team to win. You have to have a good team and everyone has to be ready to perform. Your team is very crucial to whether you win or lose.There is no room for error.
  2. Sometimes it's not your time. The irony of this thing is that I believe in the Ravens more than I did before. I feel like this is just an example of divine timing. I don't know why the Giants and Patriots get a rematch but they do. If it was the Ravens' time, they would have won. I think that's why Ray Lewis isn't ready to give up on the Ravens and I think that's why John Harbaugh was so optimistic. A loss like this sucks, but it teaches you a lot.
  3. You learn a lot from failure. No one wants failure to be a constant teacher but what do you learn from success? I would have loved a Har-bowl but it wasn't time. Just like the Ravens came back stronger against the Steelers, I feel like they'll be stronger this year. The Ravens are not a team that takes failure well. Say what you want about them, but the Ravens will be back next year and I bet they'll win. No one likes to replay their losses, but I feel like this game should be on 24/7 at the facility. This should be the only thing they watch. By kick off 2012, they will know this game backwards and forwards. They will learn from this game and never do it again. 
  4. Victory will be even sweeter. I feel like the Ravens can be a dynasty. I've always said when they work out their kinks, but I realize all teams have kinks. The Ravens tried to play to their advantage. The Patriots aren't perfect, I feel like they won by their failure not because they out played the Ravens, and neither are the Steelers. What these teams do is play to their advantage. They know what they do well and they know how to execute it. They don't give room for other teams to exploit weakness.
  5. A loss is a chance to revamp. This is similar to lesson 3 but when you lose, it gives you a chance to go back to the drawing board. What did you do well? In this case Joe Flacco, Cam Cameron, and the running backs played well. What needs improvement? Billy Cundiff under pressure and the receivers Once you determine the factors, decide what you want to do. Do you want to get new receivers and replace Cundiff? How will you win next year?
As painful as this loss is, I can name a positive, I think the Ravens earned respect.The Ravens played well but in the end it wasn't their time. I know they'll be back next year and hopefully playing in Super Bowl 47. The word for this year was Relentless, I think it should be the word for next year. Go Ravens. And no, I won't be watching the Super Bowl. 

0 comments: