»

Friday, January 13, 2012

Random Thought of the Day: Double Standards


This mini rant was inspired by The Game. In the first episode, Derwin is mad at Melanie because she got pregnant by someone else when they were separated, she had an abortion, and didn't tell him. That would shock most men, but the kicker is that Derwin has a son from a relationship he had when he and Melanie was separated. I know you're wondering who these people are and that's irrelevant to the story. The point is, Melanie is expected to be mommy to his son from another woman but Derwin is upset that she had an abortion and it wasn't even his baby.

Truthfully, it was none of Derwin's business. They weren't together, it wasn't his baby, and she didn't keep the baby. None of that involves him. I'm not for keeping secrets but some things are better left unsaid. Women, and some men, feel the need to unload their entire past on their man and I don't get that need. If it's not relevant today and it doesn't have the potential to hurt you, your partner, or your current relationship, then keep it to yourself. You don't have to confess everything. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Now that I got that out, why is it that Melanie is expected to accept Derwin's son as her own but he can't even accept the fact she had an abortion years ago? He was mad but he had no reason to be. I guess this has something to do with a "woman's place." Men are allowed to have mistresses and jump offs, and there even was a time when the man brought a mistress's baby home for the wife to raise, and she was expected to raise it as her own. If a woman even looked at another man, it was grounds for divorce. I know plenty of men who raise kids from other relationships and some who have even accepted babies from affairs, but the latter is few and far between. I know that if Melanie kept the baby then her and Derwin would not be married.

I don't have a solution to this issue because I don't know what I would do in this situation. I do know that you're not going to be screwing around and bringing home babies for me to raise, but that's here nor there. I applaud women, and men, who accept children from affairs but is the double standard right? No, I feel like Derwin should have shown Melanie the same respect and let the abortion go. Can doctors even give out that information? Anyway, I doubt that double standards will go away.

0 comments: