»

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Wall of Achievement



In one of my last posts of 2011, http://viimag.blogspot.com/2011/12/2012-vision-board.html I told everyone about my vision board and how to make one. I also promised that I would show you mine and there it is. It has actually grown from a vision board to a wall of achievements.

The wall actually came about in a funny way. I'm in the process of applying for grad school and I let my co-workers critique my essay and one of my co-workers, in her comments said "don't be afraid to show off your accomplishments" and that lit a light bulb. As I revamped my essay with all I had accomplished, I began to realize how much I have accomplished and how much I continue to accomplish. It was an "I never thought of it like that moment." My previous essay was very self effacing and I realized how short I have been selling myself. I realized that it is okay to give yourself kudos for past accomplishments. It's okay to acknowledge them. A lot of us don't feel we've accomplished things because our carter status and bank account may not reflect it, but that's not the only meter of success. If you list the things you have done, then you'll realize how accomplished you really are. Sometimes we wait for other people to tell us how successful we are but we don't have to. Pat yourself on the back and give yourself much deserved kudos.

My wall of achievements.

  1. My Bowie State University undergrad transcript with every A I earned highlighted. 27 out of 40. Go me. I'm proud of my A's because I worked hard for every one of them.
  2. The inaugural cover of VII Magazine. 
  3. The inaugural column of B'More Entertained
  4. My first article in the Baltimore Times.
  5. That orange piece of paper you see is the advertisement that inspired me to apply to grad school. Wish me luck.
  6. Then there's my vision board. It's too much to explain in detail but I have quotes, things I want to become, my dream house in the top left corner, things I want to achieve, my travel section, faith, etc. 

0 comments: