»

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Really Skins?


I'm about 5 years too late but I'm just seeing it today, so it's new to me. If you don't know what Skins is, it's a UK show that is like Degrassi on overdrive. If you think the kids on Degrassi have issues watch Skins. 
Anyway, I was watching Series 2 Episode 2, Sketch, and the kids are rehearsing a musical called "Osama," which is about 9/11. I'm not uptight about certain things but my first thought was "who approved this s@#t?" and I don't even curse.

The chorus, "then came the day Osama blew us away," is in poor taste. The whole musical is in poor taste and I feel like it's making a mockery of 9/11. Thousands of people died that day and it all comes down to "then came the day Osama blew us away." Maybe it's poorly worded but I am offended. I don't know what the UK's  great tragedy is but I'm sure they wouldn't allow a show to broadcast a musical about it. I know if this was broadcast in America, everyone would be offended and it wouldn't even get past the FCC approval committee. Osama didn't blow anyone away. For a unfortunately fortunate few, they died quickly and fairly painless, for the majority of victims, death was slow and painful. Most people had a choice between suffocating, burning, or jumping to their death. That doesn't sound like being "blown away."

I know the UK is more liberal than America, but really?

0 comments: